Prepare for Deployment: Get Organized

by Charlene Quincey on April 26, 2010

in Estate Planning, Resources, Resources and Links, Why You Need Legal Services

Washington State has a large number of service members, and memo writing services from is the tool available for informational assistance.  In fact, Katy and I have been volunteering with the Military Pro Bono Project with the American Bar Association in order to serve the men and women of Washington State that have been deployed and are in need of legal services. Serving one’s country as a service member is a tremendous responsibility and we want to ensure that every man and woman is fully prepared before deployment.  We hope the below article  provided by Nolo will aid service members in ordering their affairs before deployment.

by Melanie Cullen

Get your legal records, finances, and benefits in ship-out shape.

Deployment orders raise many personal and practical concerns. One of the most common is a desire to get things in order — and the need to do so quickly. You want to protect and care for your home and loved ones, even while away.

To help you achieve these goals, here is a checklist of important things to do before you leave.

Prepare Legal Documents

Powers of attorney. It’s a good idea to name someone to handle your bills while you’re deployed or, if you are the sole parent for minor children, name someone as a temporary guardian. Power of attorney documents can be written to grant specific powers to someone you trust (your “agent”). These powers may include paying household bills, accessing your safe deposit box, filing tax returns, renewing car registration, and providing care for minor children (even enrolling children in school and authorizing emergency medical care).

In a power of attorney document, you can specify how long the agent’s power will last — for example, one year, renewed as necessary with a field JAG (Judge Advocate General).

Will. If you own significant property, are married, or have minor children, you should prepare a will. In your will, you can name beneficiaries for your property and, if applicable, name a guardian for your children. Preparing a will doesn’t have to be complicated; for information on simple wills, see The Simple Will: No Frills, No Fuss, No Anxiety.

Review Insurance Policies

Auto insurance. Contact your car insurance agent to discuss the best coverage for your vehicle while you’re deployed. If your car will be garaged, your agent may be able to provide a rate reduction during that period.

Life insurance. Review your life insurance to make sure that the amount is adequate and that the beneficiaries still reflect your wishes. To make changes to your Servicemembers Group Life Insurance, complete the SGLI Election Form (Form SGLV 8286) available through the Department of Veterans Affairs at

Family medical insurance. If you have dependents, ensure that their medical coverage is in place and will continue throughout your deployment. Visit TRICARE on the web at to verify coverage.

At the same time, make sure that your spouse and children have current DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) cards, so that they can receive medical care and make use of other benefits, such as access to the base and exchanges. To confirm DEERS enrollment, call the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO), 800-538-9552, or update your information online at

Organize Your Finances

Lower interest rates. Many credit card and mortgage companies offer reduced interest rates during deployment. Be sure to call your lender to ask whether this benefit is available to you.

Loan Relief: The SCRA
If a call to active duty impairs your ability to make payments on pre-service loans, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) may help you. Visit the Army JAG website at for details.

Routine expenses. The easiest, most effective way to ensure that your everyday expenses are covered is to name someone you trust as your agent under a power of attorney for finances, discussed above. Even if you’re married, your spouse can more easily manage your accounts and affairs with a power of attorney in hand.

Make important records available to the person who will manage your finances. Include payment information for:

  • mortgage or rent
  • utilities and telephone
  • insurance premiums
  • credit cards
  • loans
  • school or childcare bills, and
  • other regular expenses.

Also provide information about the financial accounts your agent should use to pay bills. Describe any access steps (including passwords) or payment arrangements (such as automatic bill-pay) that your agent needs to know.

Direct deposit. You may want to set up direct deposit so that your pay is automatically credited to your checking or savings accounts. Contact your bank or credit union to make the necessary arrangements.

For Activated Reservists and National Guardsmen
In August 2006, the Department of Defense initiated a program to assist activated reservists and National Guardsmen with loss of income while mobilized. Under the Reserve Income Replacement Program, eligible servicemembers can receive the pay difference between their pre-mobilization civilian income and their military compensation. To assess your eligibility and download an application, see “Income Replacement” at

Tax returns. If you will be deployed when your income tax return is due, grant your agent (under a power of attorney) the authority to file your tax return for you. Also, be sure to tell your agent the location of your tax records, both those for the current year, as well as last year’s completed return.

You may want to file for an extension for filing your federal return. However, if you are serving in a combat zone on the filing deadline, you are automatically granted a filing extension of at least 180 days.

While most states honor an automatic federal extension, some may require a separate extension request. Contact your JAG office for assistance.

Retirement accounts. If you have retirement accounts (such as an IRA, 401(k), or another employer-sponsored retirement or pension plan), review your beneficiary designations to ensure they reflect your wishes. To make changes, contact the administrator of the plan.


Leave a Comment

Previous post: